[mou] Shorebirds, pelicans, etc.: Duluth

Jim Barrett jwbarrett10@msn.com
Thu, 05 May 2005 14:03:12 +0000

Several shorebirds arrived overnight in the Morgan Park/Spirit Lake area of
Duluth.  At 7:00 this morning (Thurs. 05/05) the following were on the
sandbars on the upstream side of the point near the old steel plant:

Willet.....2
Dowitcher (S-b?).....3
Pectoral Sandpiper....4
L. Yellowlegs.....24
G. Yellowlegs.....2

Also present:

American White Pelican......15
American Pippet......4
Bonaparte's Gull.....several flocks of 75-80

A Clay-colored Sparrow was in my front yard, as well.

Many of the ducks (mostly L. Scaup) that have been on Spirit Lake appeared
to have left, although there are still good numbers.

Morgan Park can be reached by driving south on Grand Ave (Hwy 23) about 4
miles beyond the intersection of Grand Ave and I-35.  Turn into Morgan Park
at the stop light (88th Ave. W/Arbor St.), then continue on 88th Ave W to
the stop sign at the intersection of 88th Ave W and Concorde St..  Turn left
on Concorde and drive 4 blocks to the end, bearing left at the end.  Park
alongside the park, then take the path down to the railroad tracks and the
shore of Spirit Lake.  The sandbars/flats can easily be observed by looking
south.

Jim Barrett
Duluth