[mou] Pine Siskins

Chad Heins odunamis@yahoo.com
Fri, 6 May 2005 07:00:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hey birders!

I know I should be talking about spring migration
(Yellow, Blackburnian, Nashville, N. Waterthrush this
morning), but I have an interesting story about the
Pine Siskins that have been around since January.

On Wednesday this week I saw a bird carrying what
looked like nesting material.  On Thursday I saw one
siskin following another and assumed it was a male
escorting a female who was building.  This morning I
found an adult feeding a recent fledgling with another
fledgling begging next to it.  The adult was feeding
on Oak catkins.

I know this is an unusual nesting simply due to
geography, but should they have nested this early?
Anyone know the typical nesting dates for this
species?

Enjoy the spring!

Chad Heins
Mankato