[mou] Henslow sparrows in Elm Creek Park (Hennepin)

phil alban palbanus@yahoo.com
Fri, 6 May 2005 07:01:31 -0700 (PDT)

For those of you that keep a northern Hennepin county
list, there are a couple of spots that have had
Henslows the last couple of mornings.  I don’t know if
Three-rivers still require a parking permit.

The first is near the dog-walking park off of Hayden
Lake Road (from the cities take 169 N).  About 1/10th
of a mile north of the dog park, take the paved trail
to the west and follow that for ¼ mile.  If you hit
the drainage ditch, you have gone too far.  There are
2 cedar (?) trees that the sparrow seems to be calling
near.  If he is not calling, there are plenty of
Field, Clay-colored, and Song sparrows along with
Sedge Wrens.

To find the second spot, take Elm Creek Rd (directly
south of the dog park) to the west.  It will turn into
a dirt road and then cross Elm Creek on a narrow
bridge.  Past the bridge, there is a horse/hiking
trail and an open field that had at least 2 calling
Henslows.

Phil

There are 2 other spots where I have heard them only
once this spring.  If they seem to be nesting in those
places, I might post again.