[mou] Byllesby and The Bridge

Leodwm@aol.com Leodwm@aol.com
Sat, 7 May 2005 23:12:27 EDT

-------------------------------1115521947

Hiya!
Just putting in a little birding report for today. We went to Lake Byllesby
this morning in the wind in hopes of having some more good luck, since we saw
the Willet the day before.
We looked out and spotted two Greater White-Fronted Geese laying in the  sand
looked out over the lake. There were all sorts of shorebirds. Mostly
Yellowlegs but we picked out Killdeer, a few Dunlins and quite a few  Semipalmated
Plovers.
We got too cold after a while and decided to go to the 140th St. Marsh. Not
much there either. A Spotted Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs and two Great Blue
Herons.

Then we went to the Cedar Ave. Bridge and the rain started up. We got there
and headed into the woods on the path to the right. We didn't see much...
Geese  and some Mallards on the lake. American Goldfinches flitted about from time
to  time but hardly any warblers. We went into the woods for a long time and
came  out with hardly anything. We spotted our second American Redstart of the
year in  the woods near the second boardwalk. We walked up the small hill
near the  boardwalk and continued along the edge of the hill looking for hiding
warblers  but nothing showed itself.
We had given up after a few hours and started to head back when everything
finally decided to come out. Sadly the lighting was terrible and all the birds
we tried to ID were just silhouettes in the gray sky. Chickadees were
everywhere  you looked. We spotted just one Myrtle Warbler on our way back.
However, we finally found some birds near the trail leading to the  boardwalk
out into the marsh and found ourselves a possible Black-and-White  Warbler, a
Yellow Warbler up the trees above us, a Myrtle Warbler and a Palm  Warbler
along with some other things. We also heard a Barred Owls call ring out  from
the woods behind us. We were going to go back but we never heard it call  again
as we looked at the warblers so we didn't bother.
The Barred Owls seem to be more active than normal. I hardly ever see owls
there and in this week we saw a pair of two getting scared off by crows and
then  we heard another this Saturday, both times the owls vocalized.

Well! That's about it! We're hoping to finally get a good haul of warblers
at the Bridge soon, at least one that we can spot!

Good birding!
- Leo Wexler-Mann

P.S. Yesterday at Lake Byllesby, as I said, we spotted one Willet, a  Dunlin,
Semipalmated Plovers and one Wilson's  Phalarope.

-------------------------------1115521947

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2627" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>Hiya!</DIV>
<DIV>Just putting in a little birding report for today. We went to Lake Byll=
esby=20
this morning in the wind in hopes of having some more good luck, since we sa=
w=20
the Willet the day before. </DIV>
<DIV>We looked out and spotted two Greater White-Fronted Geese laying in the=
=20
sand looked out over the lake. There were all sorts of shorebirds. Mostly=20
Yellowlegs but we picked out Killdeer, a few Dunlins and quite a few=20
Semipalmated Plovers. </DIV>
<DIV>We got too cold after a while and decided to go to the 140th St. Marsh.=
 Not=20
much there either. A Spotted Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs and two Great Blue=
=20
Herons. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Then we went to the Cedar Ave. Bridge and the rain started up. We got t=
here=20
and headed into the woods on the path to the right. We didn't see much... Ge=
ese=20
and some Mallards on the lake. American Goldfinches flitted about from time=20=
to=20
time but hardly any warblers. We went into the woods for a long time and cam=
e=20
out with hardly anything. We spotted our second American Redstart of the yea=
r in=20
the woods near the second boardwalk. We walked up the small hill near the=20
boardwalk and continued along the edge of the hill looking for hiding warble=
rs=20
but nothing showed itself.</DIV>
<DIV>We had given up after a few hours and started to head back when everyth=
ing=20
finally decided to come out. Sadly the lighting was terrible and all the bir=
ds=20
we tried to ID were just silhouettes in the gray sky. Chickadees were everyw=
here=20
you looked. We spotted just one Myrtle Warbler on our way back.</DIV>
<DIV>However, we finally found some birds near the trail leading to the=20
boardwalk out into the marsh and found ourselves a possible Black-and-White=20
Warbler, a Yellow Warbler up the trees above us, a Myrtle Warbler and a Palm=
=20
Warbler along with some other things. We also heard a Barred Owls call ring=20=
out=20
from the woods behind us. We were going to go back but we never heard it cal=
l=20
again as we looked at the warblers so we didn't bother.</DIV>
<DIV>The Barred Owls seem to be more active than normal. I hardly ever see o=
wls=20
there and in this week we saw a pair of two getting scared off by crows and=20=
then=20
we heard another this Saturday, both times the owls vocalized.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Well! That's about it! We're hoping to finally get a good haul of warbl=
ers=20
at the Bridge soon, at least one that we can spot!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Good&nbsp;birding!</DIV>
<DIV>- Leo Wexler-Mann</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>P.S. Yesterday at Lake Byllesby, as I said, we spotted one Willet, a=20
Dunlin, Semipalmated Plovers and one Wilson's=20
Phalarope.</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>