[mou] Murphy Hanrehan/Cedar Ave. Bridge

Leodwm@aol.com Leodwm@aol.com
Wed, 11 May 2005 15:42:14 EDT

--part1_65.452c21b9.2fb3ba16_boundary

Hi!
My dad and I went birding to Murphy Hanrehan Tuesday morning. We got there at
around 8:00 am to look for some early birds. Almost nothing was there. I also
wanted to apologize because we didn't know about the rule of going off the
path and we went off it to look for an Ovenbird singing. Once again, we
apologize. Anyway, we spotted very, very few birds out in the morning. Our first stop
was at the first path we could see that lead off the left side of the road.
(Sorry! We don't know what it's called!) Here were the few we saw:

#Great Crested Flycatcher
#Ovenbird (Heard 6 or 7)
#Blue-Winged Warbler
#Black-and-White Warbler
#Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
#Many, many Chickadees.

We met a two person party and walked onto the road, hearing Blue-Winged
Warbler calls and found one of them. A friend drove up and got out to look at them
too. There were quite a few, some near us and some far away. It had been rainy
and damp all morning but the sun was just barely coming out now. We decided
to go a little further, go into the town and get something to eat and return.
We drove to a dead end road and found a Great Crested Flycatcher singing on the
bare branch of a tree. Then we were treated to a Swainson's Thrush in the
middle of the road for about 30 seconds. Chickadees continued to swarm in and we
drove off for lunch.

When we came back bird calls were loud and clear. There were many
Yellow-Rumped Warblers, Palm Warblers and Blue-Winged. We drove to the Horse Trail
Parking area and took the small path leading into the woods. We spotted:

#American Redstarts
#Yellow-Rumped Warblers
#Blue-Winged Warblers
#Palm Warblers
#One great look at a Golden-Winged Warbler
#Many, many Baltimore Orioles.
#Black-and-White Warblers
#Yellow Warblers

We then hiked up the trail and spotted more Blue-Winged Warblers and many
Goldfinches. We went on and on, seeing one strange looking bird that resembled a
Yellow Warbler but it was different. It had an olive back and wings with a
small patch of olive on the back of the neck. The rest of it was bright yellow.
It flew off after a while and we went back. We spotted Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks
in the trees on our way out by the way.
By that time we were both exhausted so we got back in and drove home.

I just want to include this morning we went to the Cedar Ave. Bridge and saw
very few warblers. Yellows, Palms, Yellow-Rumps and one Magnolia. That was it
for warblers. Orioles were abundant. That's about it.

Good birding!
- Leo Wexler-Mann

--part1_65.452c21b9.2fb3ba16_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Hi!<BR>
My dad and I went birding to Murphy Hanrehan Tuesday morning. We got there a=
t around 8:00 am to look for some early birds. Almost nothing was there. I a=
lso wanted to apologize because we didn't know about the rule of going off t=
he path and we went off it to look for an Ovenbird singing. Once again, we a=
pologize. Anyway, we spotted very, very few birds out in the morning. Our fi=
rst stop was at the first path we could see that lead off the left side of t=
he road. (Sorry! We don't know what it's called!) Here were the few we saw:<=

<BR>
#Great Crested Flycatcher<BR>
#Ovenbird (Heard 6 or 7) <BR>
#Blue-Winged Warbler <BR>
#Black-and-White Warbler<BR>
#Ruby-Crowned Kinglet<BR>
#Many, many Chickadees.<BR>
<BR>
We met a two person party and walked onto the road, hearing Blue-Winged Warb=
ler calls and found one of them. A friend drove up and got out to look at th=
em too. There were quite a few, some near us and some far away. It had been=20=
rainy and damp all morning but the sun was just barely coming out now. We de=
cided to go a little further, go into the town and get something to eat and=20=
return. We drove to a dead end road and found a Great Crested Flycatcher sin=
ging on the bare branch of a tree. Then we were treated to a Swainson's Thru=
sh in the middle of the road for about 30 seconds. Chickadees continued to s=
warm in and we drove off for lunch.<BR>
<BR>
When we came back bird calls were loud and clear. There were many Yellow-Rum=
ped Warblers, Palm Warblers and Blue-Winged. We drove to the Horse Trail Par=
king area and took the small path leading into the woods. We spotted:<BR>
<BR>
#American Redstarts<BR>
#Yellow-Rumped Warblers<BR>
#Blue-Winged Warblers<BR>
#Palm Warblers<BR>
#One great look at a Golden-Winged Warbler<BR>
#Many, many Baltimore Orioles.<BR>
#Black-and-White Warblers<BR>
#Yellow Warblers<BR>
<BR>
We then hiked up the trail and spotted more Blue-Winged Warblers and many Go=
ldfinches. We went on and on, seeing one strange looking bird that resembled=
 a Yellow Warbler but it was different. It had an olive back and wings with=20=
a small patch of olive on the back of the neck. The rest of it was bright ye=
llow. It flew off after a while and we went back. We spotted Rose-Breasted G=
rosbeaks in the trees on our way out by the way.<BR>
By that time we were both exhausted so we got back in and drove home.<BR>
<BR>
I just want to include this morning we went to the Cedar Ave. Bridge and saw=
 very few warblers. Yellows, Palms, Yellow-Rumps and one Magnolia. That was=20=
it for warblers. Orioles were abundant. That's about it.<BR>
<BR>
Good birding!<BR>
- Leo Wexler-Mann</FONT></HTML>

--part1_65.452c21b9.2fb3ba16_boundary--