[mou] Travel Suggestions

David A. Cahlander david@cahlander.com
Wed, 11 May 2005 17:05:11 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C5564B.977FFAD0

I fly quite a bit and have not had trouble with security.  I carry on my =
300 mm lens in its container and carry on a bag that contains all my =
cameras, spotting scope, PC, and binoculars.  I've had trouble some of =
the time since this bag exceeds the maximum weight.  I've had to split =
the package and have someone else carry part of the equipment.

When they are looking at the camera case I tell them that it is "cameras =
and binoculars".  More than 50% of the time it goes through without =
question.  When they ask to see the contents, I find that they are =
careful and most of the time let me do the unpacking.  I don't allow =
them to touch the big lens.

Sending my tripod in a separate tripod case has caused it to be broken =
several times.  I now pack the tripod in with my cloths so it has some =
resistance to whatever they do to packages.

Sending on one of your big lenses before the trip sounds like a good =
idea.  However, it could sure ruin the trip if it did not arrive for =
some reason.

Have a great time with the Puffins!=20
---
David Cahlander david@cahlander.com Burnsville, MN 952-894-5910

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C5564B.977FFAD0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I fly quite a bit and have =
not had=20
trouble with security.&nbsp; I carry on my 300 mm lens in its container =
and=20
carry on a bag that contains all my cameras, spotting scope, =
PC,&nbsp;and=20
binoculars.&nbsp; I've had trouble some of the time since this bag =
exceeds the=20
maximum weight.&nbsp; I've had to split the package and have someone =
else carry=20
part of the equipment.
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>When they are looking at the =
camera case=20
I tell them that it is "cameras and binoculars".&nbsp; More than 50% of =
the time=20
it goes through without question.&nbsp; When they ask to see the =
contents, I=20
find that they are careful and most of the time let me do the =
unpacking.&nbsp; I=20
don't allow them to touch the big lens.</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Sending my tripod in a =
separate tripod=20
case has caused it to be broken several times.&nbsp; I now pack the =
tripod in=20
with my cloths so it has some resistance to whatever they do to=20
packages.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Sending on one of your big =
lenses before=20
the trip sounds like a good idea.&nbsp; However, it could sure ruin the =
trip if=20
it did not arrive for some reason.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Have a great time with the=20
Puffins!&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>---<BR>David Cahlander <A=20
href=3D"mailto:david@cahlander.com">david@cahlander.com</A> Burnsville, =
MN=20