[mou] Travel Suggestions

Bernard P. Friel wampy@att.net
Wed, 11 May 2005 17:23:47 -0500

Do not under any circumstances put film in your checked luggage. The new
Xray equipment will fry it. Also don't put film in lead bags to protect it ,
because the new security equipment just ramps the power up and will ruin the
film anyway. I don't know what it will do to flash cards etc. but I have
never had any trouble, even with international travel with the xray
equipment at the carry on locations. You can also ask for hand inspection
and they will usually accommodate, but it does take time. I have insisted on
that if I could reasonably anticipate because of a long itinerary that I
would go through the carry on xray machines more than 4 times because the
xray effect is cumulative.  You may also wish to go to the North American
Nature Photography web site for more information ( nanpa.org). NANPA has
been working with TSA to provide extra carry on baggage  for serious amateur
photographers and pros and have met with success with some airlines, but
there is a procedure to follow in order to take advantage of the extra carry
on.
Good Luck and have a good trip. Bernie Friel