[mou] Blue Earth Kentucky Warbler/Bell's Vireo

JELLISBIRD@aol.com JELLISBIRD@aol.com
Wed, 11 May 2005 21:36:40 EDT

    Craig Mandel's Blue Earth County Kentucky Warbler was in his usual haunts
at the Williams Nature Preserve on Highway 68 West of Mankato. He sang single
bursts of song five times between 9 AM this morning and 9:35 and then nothing
until 10:15 when I left. The songs heard were from different spots and I
probably saw it moving between spots but did not ever get a visual ID. I don't
know if his hormones haven't come in yet or if the glum morning induced a slight
mood disorder.
    At least one Bell's Vireo was seen and singing in the shrubs on both
sides of the road at the Seppmann's Mill drive at Minneopa State Park near
Mankato. Also three Eastern Towhees in various spots. Not much by way of warblers...a
few Blue-Winged, Yellow, Yellow-rumps, Tennessees, a Nashville, a couple of
Black and Whites. Also several Swainsons Thrushes and a Wood Thrush. Did NOT
hear any Ceruleans or Prothonatorys at Seven Mile Creek Park but it was VERY
glum. Got a RH Woodpecker and a Caspian Tern in Blue Earth County but a pretty
slow day.

    John Ellis, St. Paul