[mou] RE: Travel Suggestions

Al Ferber alferber@hotmail.com
Thu, 12 May 2005 00:24:09 +0000

My wife and I recently purchased a Pelican hardshell carrying case for our
binoculars and camera gear.  It has internal upper and lower thick foam
pre-cut into 1/2" cubes.  (You remove cubes to form-fit the equipment you
are packing into the foam.)  We checked the case as luggage on our flights
to/from our Arizona birding trip.  Worked great!  Also served as our gear
transport as we trekked around in our rental car.  Unfortunately, we started
our trip at the beginning of Spring Break, and the TSA folks were so
overwhelmed with luggage that they refused to inspect our case on the spot
so I could lock it before it went on the conveyor belt.  We had to send it
on its way unlocked (it was eventually inspected, it turns out).  We
subsequently learned that there are TSA-approved locks that they can unlock
to inspect the case -- the TSA website lists them.

Al Ferber