[mou] Lesser Black-Backed Gull - Eden Prairie, Hennepin County

Doug Kieser DKieser@CLYNCH.COM
Thu, 12 May 2005 21:41:25 -0500

This evening I observed what I believe to be a second-summer Lesser
Black-Backed Gull roosting with other Gulls and Terns on the grassy
island in the Purgatory Creek wetlands in Eden Prairie.  What first drew
my attention was the dark-gray mantle and dark-brown wings.  Primaries
were black and extended well beyond the tail.  Head and underparts were
clean white, with perhaps a small amount of streaking near the eye.
Legs were yellow, bill appeared to be yellow at the base, black from
about the midpoint to end.  The bird was about the same size as nearby
Caspian Terns, larger than Ring-Billed Gulls.  Gloomy lighting, wind and
rain made observation somewhat difficult.
Also present were 145 Caspian Terns, by far the most I have ever
observed at this location.
Doug Kieser
Minneapolis