[mou] Summer Tanager/Hooded Warbler-Hennepin Co.

Conny Brunell connyb@mycidco.com
Fri, 13 May 2005 11:26:42

At Wood Lake Nature Center in Richfield, Hennepin County this morning both the previous reported Imm male Summer Tanager, and the Hooded Warbler were still present in the same posted locations.   I saw the Summer Tanager at 9:05 sitting very low off the ground on a branch in the southeast section in the back gate trail loop.

There were 16 species of Warblers in the park.  The Red-eyed Vireo's have arrived, and in addition to the numerous Swainson's Thrush through out the park I enjoyed seeing 4 Veery's singing.  There were many  birds on or near the ground today, and a lot of leave were being tossed.  I enjoyed seeing a male Eastern Towhee sing both his songs, and interesting to me while watching a Brown Thrasher it sang a perfect Carolina Wren song!!!

At 10:45 before leaving the park I checked the Hooded Warbler loop in the front again, and heard him singing loudly further south from the main trail to the west of the center.  He also was singing several renditions of his usual vocalization, and once he stopped singing was almost impossible to find.  If you have the patience to look through hundreds of Yellow-rumped's you will see a good variety in the park today.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty
connyb@mycidco.com