[mou] Western Tanager - Beltrami

Kelly Larson northernflights@charter.net
Fri, 13 May 2005 20:05:41 -0500

Bemidji resident Betty Smith called me this morning to report a possible
Western Tanager feeding on oranges in her yard. Betty first saw the bird
at 6:30 am. It returned at least 5 times before I arrived at noon. After
seeing the bird myself I contacted Pat Rice. She and several other
birders were able to view the Tanager at the same location a little
later. We are all in agreement with Betty's initial ID. It is a
beautiful bird, I think maybe a first year male as it had a fare amount
of olive green on the nape before the red-orange set in.
Betty has graciously given us permission to view the bird in her yard.
She lives in an apartment complex and asks that we stay in our vehicles
to reduce the impact on both the bird and her neighbors. (she will warn
neighbors about the folks with binoculars) Fortunately there is an
excellent view of the feeders from the street. It is not at all
necessary to leave the car to get good looks at this skittish bird.
To get to Betty's:
>From downtown Bemidji take Paul Bunyan Drive (Hwy197/71) south about 2
miles. Take a right on Roosevelt Rd (Blue Water Bait Shop on the corner)
and go 2 blocks. Take a left on Clausen and park in front of the second
apartment building on the right. (the one with all the feeders and the
walkway leading to the street). The bird has been visiting an orange
wedged in the branches of a small naked tree to the left of the walkway.

If you have questions you may call me or contact Betty Smith directly at
218-751-4895.

We moved.
We changed our name.
Come visit us in Bemidji, Minnesota.