[mou] Need help IDing duck in Itasca County

shawn conrad dingermcduff@hotmail.com
Sun, 15 May 2005 09:17:47 -0500

Anyone out there have an idea of the bird I saw on Trout Lake a couple of
days ago?

The duck is fairly tame, as large or larger than a Mallard, and has
beautiful plumage.  It's breast wings, and back are a deep, slightly
reddish-brown, except for a small blue-green patch on each wing.  The head
is dark reddish-brown with a slightly darker, small moustache.  The bill is
dark with an orange tip.  The duck has a thick, white neck ring.  It has a
white rump, white under the tail, and bright orange legs.  It was not
associating with any other waterfowl.

I suspect it might be some domestic or strange Mallard hybrid, but I'm not
sure.  I've never known of domestics to appear on this lake--do they usually
fly or interbreed with wild ducks?  Nothing resembling it is in any of my
field guides.  I took a couple of photos that, while dark, at least show
most of these field marks.  I could send them to someone who thinks they
might have a good idea as to what it is.  (I didn't think MOU-NET would
appreciate me attaching the photos to this message.)

Shawn Conrad
Bovey