[mou] YCNH refound

Randy Frederickson fredericksonr@willmar.k12.mn.us
Mon, 23 May 2005 07:41:46 -0500

The yellow crowned night heron in Willmar, Kandiyohi county, was seen again
both Saturday and Sunday.  (I did not have time to post earlier, sorry.)

Although I have been searching daily for the bird, without success, it was
again at the Berquist park- where it was originally seen - on Saturday.
However, it was seen late morning (about 11:00 a.m.) AND was not near the
water but instead was walking down the west trail.  I presume it was eating
worms after the rain.

That suspicion was confirmed when on Sunday morning about 6:15 (while
looking for warblers at Robin's Island) I found what I presume to be the
same bird hunting for and eating worms.  It was walking around on the mowed
grass about 80 to 90 yards from water and just north of the first (Guri?)
shelter.

Robin's Island is about 2 miles from the Berquist area and essentially on
the same body of water.

I know the bird does NOT regularly "hang out" at the Berquist area because
there is too much human traffic here and the area is so small.  I wonder if
it doesn't end up here by default when chased from other areas.

Anyone wanting directions to either location, please let me know.

Randy Frederickson
Willmar