[mou] Sportsmen's Show in St Paul wants to have a Birding Room

Ivars J. Krafts ivars@ivarskrafts.com
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:45:25 -0500

--=====================_8699171==.ALT

Perhaps we could have a positive influence upon them & even convert
some of them. Or am I being too optimistic?
Ivars Krafts

At 06:53 PM 9/12/2005, Mike Hendrickson wrote:
>I really do not have an issue with the MOU being part of a sportsman
>show and was wondering or maybe I wasn't reading careful enough to
>follow along on this but is there any cost as far as cost for a
>table and ect.?  Also I was wondering how birders who objected to
>the Mourning Dove hunt would like to sit side by side to those who
>advocate dove shooting in Minnesota.
>
>Mike H
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Alt, Mark" <Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com>

Ivars Krafts
office: 763-784-2210
cell:     612-759-4641
ivars@ivarskrafts.com

--=====================_8699171==.ALT

Perhaps we could have a positive influence upon them &amp; even convert
some of them. Or am I being too optimistic?<br>
Ivars Krafts<br><br>
At 06:53 PM 9/12/2005, Mike Hendrickson wrote:<br>
with the MOU being part of a sportsman show and was wondering or maybe I
wasn't reading careful enough to follow along on this but is there any
cost as far as cost for a table and ect.?&nbsp; Also I was wondering how
birders who objected to the Mourning Dove hunt would like to sit side by
side to those who advocate dove shooting in Minnesota.<br><br>
Mike H<br>
----- Original Message ----- From: &quot;Alt, Mark&quot;
&lt;Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com&gt;<br>
In my capacity as President of the MOU I met with members of the
DNR,<br>
Mark Martell and the group that puts on the Sportsmen's show each
year.<br>
It is to be held Tuesday March 28 to Sunday, April 2.<br>
The group wanted us to sponsor a room promoting and offering info on<br>
birding and birds in MN. Minnesota Audubon and I thought it was<br>
inappropriate for our organizations to sponsor a boat show, so that
fell<br>
off the table, but then the DNR stepped forward and offered to
sponsor<br>
it. This presents an interesting option for our members. If anyone<br>
wishes to volunteer to staff this booth and answer questions (a la
State<br>
Fair Booth), they would get free admittance to the show that day
($9.00<br>
value). The Mou would be welcome to distribute any materials we have
and<br>
they are also interested in speakers on Bird topics to do seminars.<br>
I think this is a great opportunity for our members who enjoy
hunting<br>
and boating to get in to the show free and for others who enjoy
manning<br>
these functions to do so, without any outlay of funds or official<br>
endorsement from the MOU. We would be allowed to sign people up if
we<br>
wish for the Mou and we may have internet connectivity which would
give<br>
us a chance to showcase our webpage and our seasonal reporting
functions<br>
that are in use now. I will serve as the organizing representative
for<br>
the MOU (unless someone else wants it), and I would like to issue an<br>
open call for interested people on MOU net and MN Bird so I could
keep<br>
interested people in the queue to be a part of this.<br>
Carrol Henderson feels that if this shows promise, there<br>
may be a future for a &quot;Birding&quot; show, which we could definitely
align<br>
with.<br>
This is the first step towards that opportunity and I feel it is<br>
vital we are involved in some way. Please contact me if you have any<br>
questions or if you want to be involved in some way, either in the<br>
planning or the staffing of the event.<br><br>
Mark Alt<br>
President,<br>
Minnesota Ornithologists Union<br>
J. F. Bell Museum of Natural History<br>
University of Minnesota<br>
10 Church Street SE<br>
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0104<br>
MOU.mn.org<br>