[mou] Long-tailed Jaeger and MORE!

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:01:07 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C5BC61.CC31C2F0

I headed over to WI Pt and decided to bird from the light house on the =
WI side. From here you have a terrific view in the morning light on the =
Minnesota side.  I got there at 8:30am and birded till 12:30pm.

Here are my birds:
- Light Jv. Long-tailed Jaeger.  I spotted this bird on the Mn side and =
it was heading directly towards me. It landed on the lake and sat around =
for about 5 minutes and then flew across the entry and right over my =
head about 40 feet and then cruised over the WI breakwall heading =
towards the landfill. =20
-TWO Sabine's Gull. They were both somewhat together on the Minnesota =
side and they eventually flew over Mn Pt to the harbor area. One was a =
adult and the other a juvenile. Same pair what Don Kienholtz had on Sat =
am.
-Artic Tern. This was a unexpected find. I was seeing terns a long way =
out most of the morning and then about 10:30-11am I heard a high pitch =
tern like call that didn't register as a common tern so I got on the =
tern making the calls and saw that it was a Artic Tern!=20

I called Tom about the Pacific loon but as the loon got closer I =
corrected myself on the ID and saw it was a small juv. Common Loon. As I =
was getting ready to leave Dedrick Benz who came later with Chris =
Hockema and Peder Svingen , spotted a jaeger cutting across from Mn to =
WI and to me it had the jizz and feel for a Parasitic Jaeger.  Peder =
located a Whimbrel on the Mn side on the beach form the light house.

It was great morning but not compared to seeing 70 Sabine Gulls but =
close enough. The LT Jaeger was  a lifer for me.

Good Birding
Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Minnesota Birding Treks
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C5BC61.CC31C2F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I headed over to WI Pt and =
decided to=20
bird from the light house on the WI side. From here you have a terrific =
view in=20
the morning light on the Minnesota side.&nbsp; I got there at 8:30am and =
birded=20
till 12:30pm.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Here are my =
birds:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>- Light Jv. Long-tailed =
Jaeger.&nbsp; I=20
spotted this bird on the Mn side and it was heading directly towards me. =
It=20
landed on the lake and sat around for about 5 minutes and then flew =
across the=20
entry and right over my head about 40 feet and then cruised over the WI=20
breakwall heading towards the landfill.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-TWO Sabine's Gull. They were =
both=20
somewhat together on the Minnesota side and they eventually flew over Mn =
Pt to=20
the harbor area. One was a adult and the other a juvenile. Same pair =
what Don=20
Kienholtz had on Sat am.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Artic Tern. This was a =
unexpected find.=20
I was seeing terns a long way out most of the morning and then about =
10:30-11am=20
I heard a high pitch tern like call that didn't register as a common =
tern so I=20
got on the tern making the calls and saw that it was a Artic Tern! =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I called Tom about the =
Pacific loon but=20
as the loon got closer I corrected myself on the ID and saw it was a =
small juv.=20
Common Loon. As I was getting ready to leave Dedrick Benz who came later =
with=20
Chris Hockema and Peder Svingen , spotted a jaeger cutting across from =
Mn to WI=20
and to me it had the jizz and feel for a Parasitic Jaeger.&nbsp; Peder =
located a=20
Whimbrel on the Mn side on the beach form the light house.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>It was great morning but not =
compared to=20
seeing 70 Sabine Gulls but close enough. The LT Jaeger was&nbsp; a lifer =
for=20
me.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Good Birding</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR>Minnesota Birding Treks<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C5BC61.CC31C2F0--