[mou] Jaegers at Duluth today

James Mattsson mattjim@earthlink.net
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:39:51 -0500

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

This morning (19th) Conny Brunell, and I arrived at the MN/WI Superior entry, destined to challenge the rain gods, which we had been doing all the way from the Twin Cities. They almost won, but we persisted and at 8:30am were rewarded with excellent looks at a light morph juv. Long-tailed Jaeger flying east to west across the breakwalls - about 200m away.  The bird had a rather bouyant, leisurely flight mode, rather narrow wings, ie. base of its wing was no more than 30% of overall length. At 200m we could not see any sign of white primary shafts on upper wing, nor did we notice an obvious white flash on undersurface of wing. The bird was gray/brown above with a dusky throat and breast band contrasting slightly with white chest and belly.

At 8:55am, an adult light morph Parastic Jaeger appeared along the same flight line as the Long-tailed and actually flew a bit closer to our location. Central rectrix projection was easily seen as were bold whitle wing flashes on upper and lower primaries. The bird was larger and heavier built than the Long-tailed and had a more direct, power flight mode. Oddly, although both jaegers flew within a few feet of the numerous gulls on the breakwalls, the gulls never reacted.

At 12:30pm, from Park Point, I spotted an adult Parasitic Jaeger chasing Bonaparte's Gulls on the lake. This may have been the same adult as seen earlier.

Conny also spotted an adult Red-headed Woodpecker at entrance to Park Point.

Jim
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: x-small; FONT-FAMILY: MS Sans Serif"><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1251">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2722" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>
<DIV>This morning (19th) Conny Brunell, and I arrived at the MN/WI Superior entry, destined to challenge the rain gods, which we had been doing all the way from the Twin Cities. They almost won, but we persisted and at 8:30am were rewarded with excellent looks at a light morph juv. Long-tailed Jaeger flying east to west across the breakwalls - about 200m away.&nbsp; The bird had a rather bouyant, leisurely flight mode, rather narrow wings, ie. base of its wing was no more than 30% of overall length. At 200m we could not see any sign of white primary shafts on upper wing, nor did we notice an obvious white flash&nbsp;on undersurface of wing. The bird was gray/brown above with a dusky throat and breast band contrasting slightly with white chest and belly. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>At 8:55am, an adult light morph Parastic Jaeger appeared along the same flight line as the Long-tailed and actually flew a bit closer to our location. Central rectrix&nbsp;projection was easily seen as were bold whitle wing flashes on upper and lower primaries. The bird was larger and heavier built&nbsp;than the Long-tailed and had a more direct, power flight mode. Oddly, although both jaegers flew within a few feet of the numerous gulls on the breakwalls, the gulls never reacted. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>At 12:30pm, from Park Point, I spotted an adult Parasitic Jaeger chasing Bonaparte's Gulls on the lake. This may have been the same adult as seen earlier. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Conny also spotted an adult Red-headed Woodpecker at entrance to Park Point. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jim</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>