[mou] Deep Listing

Jim Ryan Jim Ryan <muchmoredoc@gmail.com>
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:14:50 -0500

------=_Part_45_22306340.1127178890648

I think Deep Listing is a worthy and admirable idea. Worth pursuing.

I mentioned requiring MOU members to participate in a CBC to remain members
some time ago during a dialog about levels of membership, etc., but noone
seemed to comment. This appears to be a similar, easier idea.

Another one is interpretive birding: Check out http://www.ibirding.com/ and
click on the link "What is Interpretive Birding?" Amatuer birders have
actually added significant information to the database of bird behavior.
I-birding is a great way to do it. It's good for the birds!

Jim in Longfellow

--
"Trying creates impossibilities. Letting go creates what is desired." -
Stalking Wolf, Apache Scout, Shaman and Healer

--
"Trying creates impossibilities. Letting go creates what is desired." -
Stalking Wolf, Apache Scout, Shaman and Healer

------=_Part_45_22306340.1127178890648

irable idea. Worth pursuing.&nbsp; <br>
I mentioned requiring MOU members to participate in a CBC to remain
members some time ago during a dialog about levels of membership, etc.,
but noone seemed to comment. This appears to be a similar, easier idea.<br>
Another one is interpretive birding: Check out
p.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.ibirding.com/</a>&nbsp; and=
 click on the link &quot;What is
Interpretive Birding?&quot; Amatuer birders have actually added significant
information to the database of bird behavior. I-birding is a great way
to do it. It's good for the birds!<br><br>
me">Jim Williams</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:two-jays@att.net" target=3D"_bla=
nk" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">two-jays@att.n=
et</a>
&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1=
px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"=

Here is an interesting idea. Anyone care to comment?<br>This also is a stro=
ng endorsement for Cornell's eBird data project,<br>which deserves everyone=
orwarded message:
et=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">ferg=
o:=20
ank" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">Conservationt=
hroughbirding@yahoogroups.com
a href=3D"mailto:Conservationthroughbirding@yahoogroups.com" target=3D"_bla=
nk" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">Conservationth=
roughbirding@yahoogroups.com
ubon meeting for
atty's<br>Guest Ranch near Sierra Vista.&nbsp;&nbsp;While discussing stereo=
typical bird listers<br>that don't care about conservation (we both emphati=
cally denied being such
t of<br>Deep Twitching...like Deep Ecology, something that gave more conser=
t week I've thought alot about Deep Twitching, and maybe something like
ose an initial rule for Deep Twitching:<br><br>Only birds reported to a lar=
ger citizen science bird conservation project can be counted.<br><br>That g=
oes for life birds, state birds, county birds, yard birds...whatever.
p guide<br>conservation planning.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you just write them in your=
 book, the birds don't count.<br><br>And the good news is that with the bra=
nd new release of eBird 2, Audubon and
ist.<br>You can now keep track of your Life, State, County, and Yard (or an=
y other<br>location) lists online at eBird.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just go to eBird.org=

enter in your location, click a couple boxes, and in less time than it take=
s to<br>read this message, you can report all the birds you've seen so far =
this morning.<br><br>The new, improved eBird 2 lets you see all your sighti=
ngs, all your lists, as
your sightings<br>here, your data isn't lost in your notebooks, it goes tow=
ards helping chart the<br>distribution and abundance of the birds in your y=
ard, county, state, and the
br><br>--Get backyard birders to enter their backyard sightings.<br>--Get n=
ature centers or refuges to keep their sightings online
 submit<br>the most lists in a year...the most sightings...visit the most p=
laces in your area, etc.
t folks fired up.&nbsp;&nbsp;You don't have to have an ABA list of<br>800+ =
to be the best Deep Lister.&nbsp;&nbsp;But you do have to enter your bird s=
ightings.
at if everyone in your local area regularly reported to eBird the birds in<=
br>their backyard?&nbsp;&nbsp;The interesting birds they see on the way to =
work?
could then use eBird to<br>generate maps of bird distribution in your area.=
Big Real Estate Development comes to your community, and
ocal<br>bird abundance and distribution from eBird to back you up in your a=
ttempts to<br>influence a zoning board, county board of supervisors, develo=
per, etc.
me be the first to take the Deep Twitching pledge... I will only count
bird sightings that are entered into eBird or some other citizen
science database!<br><br>While that means that my ABA list has just dropped=
 down to 206 species and my<br>Texas
list has only 1 (shameful!!) species (as of this morning)...its just a
matter of time before I get my old sightings entered into eBird so my
Deep Birding lists will grow.<br><br>Deep Twitching...more than just an obs=
er.blogspot.com" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(win=
dow,event,this)">
r>page<br><a href=3D"http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/70TolB/=
TM" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,thi=
s)">
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/70TolB/TM</a><br>-----------=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href=3D"mailto:Conservationthroughbirding-unsub=
scribe@yahoogroups.com" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtL=
ink(window,event,this)">
target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">=