[mou] Reno Microwave Tower (Hillside Rd. Houston Co.) Raptors Sept. 20; passerines

fred lesher corax6330@yahoo.com
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:37:45 -0700 (PDT)

Turkey Vulture------------17
Osprey---------------------2
Bald Eagle-----------------3
No. Harrier----------------1
Sharp-shinned Hawk---------9
Cooper's Hawk--------------3
Broad-winged Hawk-------1258
Red-t. Hawk----------------6
American Kestrel-----------1
Peregrine Falcon-----------1
unidentified accipiter-----3
      "      buteo---------3
      "      raptor-------12

Total hawks: 1319
Time: 10:30 AM-3PM (4.5hrs.)
Wind speeds: 8-14mph
Winds from S, SW,SE
Cloud cover: None
Flight Direction: SW, S
Height of flight: Beyond unaided vision, mostly.
Bar. Pressure: 30.13 up to 30.14 by noon, then falling
to 30.10 by 3PM. (weather bureau at LaCrosse)

Numbers were overwhelming for a solo observer: I am
sure I undercounted and missed some IDs. Kettles of
BWHAs included 300 & 400 birds. They appeared to the
north, streaming in, kettling up, peeling off SW. If I
followed these movements and returned to the original
kettle site, more birds were streaming to repeat the
movement to the SW. On & on. Encores from about 11AM
to 1PM.

Al Stankewitz of rural Hokah joined me, after most of
the action. We hiked up above the Reno quarry
(abandoned) about 3:30 PM and observed continued
reduced flight of BWHAs, and an immature Peregrine
Falcon which flew about 30 feet over us over the
quarry.

On Shellhorn Rd. (Shellhorn Rd. connects between Hwy
26 & Hillside Rd. On Hwy 26 it starts at the Shellhorn
bar) between 9:30AM & 10AM were the usual passerine
residents & migrants: E. Phoebe, Tufted Titmouse,
Red-brstd. Nuthatch, House Wren (2), Ruby-crnd.
Kinglet, Gray Catbird (2), Yellow-thrtd. Vireo,
Red-eyed V., Chestnut-sided Wa., Magnolia Wa., Black &
white Wa., Am. Redstart, Rose-brstd. Grosbeak, E.
Towhee, White-thrtd. Sp.

Hillside Rd. runs north from Reno/Hwy 26 at the south
to Co. Rd. 3 at the west side of Brownsville.

Fred Lesher
LaCrosse, Wis.

http://mail.yahoo.com