[mou] Hurricane and birds

Pat DeWenter hoocooks4you@yahoo.com
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:48:11 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1871055436-1127404091=:71361

I know that wildlife is the last thing on most people's minds right now as the hurricane bears down on Texas.  I also know this has nothing to do with Minnesota birds, but I just have to say how much I agree with Mark Alt!

My husband and I winter in the Rio Grande Valley and it looks like our area will be spared from the brunt of the storm down there.  But I told my husband last night how I just keep thinking of all the wonderful habitat and great birding areas along the TX coast and what an impact that will have on the birds and other wildlife!  We have birded often from the upper TX coast down to Corpus Christi and I can just picture what devastation there will be to Bolivar Peninsula, High Island, Aransas and Anahuac NWRs etc. etc.

Right now is the peak of Hummingbird migration in Texas and places along the coast such as Rockport have thousands and thousands of hummers coming through that area now.  Rockport even has a Hummingbird Festival every year in September where people come to see hundreds of hummers at feeders around town.   These are our MN hummers, so indirectly it may have an effect on our birds.  This also goes for migrating passerines from here also.

So let's pray not only for the people but for our feathered friends as well!

Pat and Bob DeWenter
Bemidji, MN (and Weslaco, TX)

--0-1871055436-1127404091=:71361

<DIV>
<DIV>I know that wildlife is the last thing on most people's minds right now as the hurricane bears down on Texas.&nbsp; I also know this has nothing to do with Minnesota birds, but I just have to say how much I agree with Mark Alt!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My husband and I winter in the Rio Grande Valley and it looks like our area will be spared from the brunt of the storm down there.&nbsp; But I told my husband last night how I just keep thinking of all the wonderful habitat and great birding areas along the TX coast and what an impact that will have on the birds and other wildlife!&nbsp; We have birded often from the upper TX coast down to Corpus Christi and I can just picture what devastation there will be to Bolivar Peninsula, High Island, Aransas and Anahuac&nbsp;NWRs etc. etc.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Right now is the peak of Hummingbird migration in Texas and places along the coast such as Rockport have thousands and thousands of hummers coming through that area now.&nbsp; Rockport&nbsp;even has a Hummingbird Festival every year in September&nbsp;where people come to see hundreds of hummers at feeders around town.&nbsp; &nbsp;These are our MN hummers, so indirectly it may have an effect on our birds.&nbsp; This also goes for migrating passerines from here also.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So let's pray not only for the people but for our feathered friends as well!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Pat and Bob DeWenter</DIV>
<DIV>Bemidji, MN (and Weslaco, TX)</DIV></DIV>
--0-1871055436-1127404091=:71361--