[mou] Hawk Ridge News: Black-backed Woodpecker

Debbie Waters dlpwaters@charter.net
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:03:07 -0500

Hawk Ridge News
September 29, 2005

Bird Business…

... We have two seasons at Hawk Ridge: “little” birds and “big” birds, and
we’re right in the middle now, where the little birds are trickling off and
the big birds are just beginning.

… The “little bird” group includes American Kestrels, Merlins, Sharp-shinned
Hawks, Broad-winged Hawks, and Osprey—which are not exactly little birds,
but we’re generalizing here!  They normally migrate past the Ridge during
September, so Osprey are trickling off now, but most of the “little” birds
will still be moving through for another week or two.

… The BIG birds show up in October…Red-tailed Hawks, Bald Eagles, Golden
Eagles, Northern Goshawks, and Rough-legged Hawks.  Adult Red-tailed Hawks
are starting to move through now, with some dark morphs sighted; Turkey
Vultures numbers are high now, with a couple of days during the past week of
over 100 birds; and Northern Goshawk numbers are starting to pick up.  As I’
m writing this at the main overlook, there is an immature goshawk circling
overhead—beautiful!

… The passerine migration continues to be above average.  The total number
of passerines banded so far this season is about 5,600 (500 were banded
within the past 7 days).  The 2003 season total, which is our current
record, is 6,800 birds, and at this same point in 2003, the total was 5,569.
If things progress at the current place, we’ll have a record year!

Check out our website (http://www.hawkridge.org/about/news.html) for more
information on the passerine migration, the BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER seen
today at the main overlook, the raptor forecast, and pictures of very
interesting immature SHARP-SHINNED HAWKS... one with PALE head coloration
and one with GREEN EYES.

Feel free to contact me with any questions, or give us a call to find out
what's happening at the overlook: 218.428.6209.
__________________________________
Debbie Waters, Education Director
Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory
P.O. Box 3006
Duluth, MN 55803-3006
(218) 428-6209
dwaters@hawkridge.org
www.hawkridge.org

"I am a predator.  I hunt for knowledge!"  --4th grader, Northern Lights
Elementary

"Migration--it's a family tradition!"  --4th grader, Great Lakes Elementary