[mou] Waterfowl in Fort Snelling State Park - Hennepin County

Shelly Wiemann s_wiemann@hotmail.com
Sun, 02 Apr 2006 14:42:44 -0500

Around 11:00 am this morning I drove around Fort Snelling State Park to see
who was out in the rain.

Some highlights...

Common Loon
2 dozen or more ring-billed gulls (sitting on ice behind Snelling lake) and
flying around
2 male hooded mergansers displaying for a female (in marshy pond behind
Snelling Lake)
Pair of unidentified dabbling/diving ducks

The male of the pair I was unable to identify was relatively small, mostly
brown bodied, but had interesting black and white markings on his tail and
beak.  There was a black area adjacent to a slim white bar on both the tail
and the beak.  Anyone know what species this might indicate?

Thanks,
Shelly Wiemann