[mou] Flight song of Song Sparrow-Wood Lake

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 20:01:41 -0500

As Alyssa noted in her earlier post, We observed from close range (40 =
feet) a Song Sparrow lift off from the dry sedge at water's edge, fly up =
to about 25 feet high, then drop its legs, spread its wings, fanned open =
its tail and with a buzzy hovering flight, that let it fall very slowly, =
began to sing. Kind of flew like a low level Lark Bunting. It was not =
one of the simpler songs we are so used to hearing, but an emphatic =
garbled song that ended in a trill. I guess the song lasted about 3 =
seconds, then the bird dropped quickly back into the sedges. I had never =
seen this before. Consulting with both the BNA and Jim Rising's Sparrow =
book, Rising remarks that flight singing is rare, BNA makes no =
particular mention of it. I may try and get audio and video of it =
tomorrow, it was quite striking. Bob Holtz and I had a great day out =
with some great young birders. I think I learned as much as any of them =
did! I am always surprised how all birds are so interesting when you =
really watch them. A single female Red-winged Blackbird made a brief =
appearance in the cattails and was mobbed by ten or twelve suitors with =
flashing red epaulets. Actually it was quite brutal. First Broadwing of =
the year, seen well in the open. Heard Brown Creepers but couldn't quite =
see them. It was a great thing to do on a great day. Hats off to Zack, =
Ben, Isaac, Alyssa, Sasha, Meara, Una and Mayva and their parents. These =
are some great birders, it was fun to share the day with them.  Good =
Birding!
=20
=20
Mark Alt