[mou] Wilson's Phalarope and American Bittern, Nicollet County

rdunlap@gac.edu rdunlap@gac.edu
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 12:25:42 -0500

This morning I found a Wilson's Phalarope spinning in the water at the Nicollet
sewage ponds. Also, at the nearby Conservation Club access on the south side of
Swan Lake, in addition to the many waterfowl there were Forster's Terns, Greater
Yellowlegs, Wilson's Snipe, Black-crowned Night-Herons, a single Tundra Swan,
plus Red-necked and Western Grebes way out in the lake.

Just west of the turnoff for the Conservation Club on Hwy. 14 is a boat launch
access. Here I found an American Bittern in the cattails.

I'll be checking the Swan Lake area pretty regularly this spring, so I'll keep
everyone posted on shorebirds and whatnot. Good birding!

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County