[mou] 2 Common Moorhens at Murphy-Hanrehan

Williams, Bob BXWilliams@CBBURNET.COM
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 09:19:16 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6B7D0.F78E16DF

I went out early this morning to follow up on Tom Nelson's great finds =
at Murphy-Hanrehan.  I arrived before 7am and waited for the show to =
start.  I waited for about an hour before 2 Common Moorhens appeared =
from behind the cattails near the middle of the pond.  At about the same =
time the Least Bittern appeared a little to the right of the moorhens =
sitting right out in plain sight.  The moorhens disappeared again almost =
as soon as they appeared so you must be patient.  While I was waiting I =
saw and/or heard the following:
Sandhill Cranes calling in the distance over my left shoulder
Henslow's Sparrow(s) calling from across the pond
Virginia Rail with 3 little chicks
Soras feeding out in the open
Black-crowned Night Heron out in the open
Great Egrets, Green Herons and Great Blue Herons - many
Purple Martins - at least 3
Lesser Yellowlegs
Pectoral Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpipers
What a great way to start the day!
I offer the following directions.  Park at the corner of 175th and =
Natchez.  There is no official place to pull over and the shoulder is a =
little steep but it can be done.  There is a trail that runs along the =
woods that you can pick up there.  This takes you right to #35 on the =
trail map.  The pond is visible from there.  The best angle for where I =
saw the moorhens was from the middle before you get to the large tree =
that blocks your view of the pond.  They were in a fairly small opening =
in the cattails.  The bittern was on the left side of the much larger =
opening that is to the right of the smaller opening.  This second =
opening has some mudflats and should have Green Herons, shorebirds =
and/or a Sora.  I hope that helps.
Bob Williams, Bloomington
=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6B7D0.F78E16DF

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><HTML =
DIR=3Dltr><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"></HEAD><BODY><DIV><FONT face=3D'Arial' =
color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I went out early this morning to follow up on =
Tom Nelson's =0A=
great finds at Murphy-Hanrehan.&nbsp; I arrived before 7am and waited =
for the =0A=
show to start.&nbsp; I waited for about an hour before 2 Common Moorhens =0A=
appeared from behind the cattails near the middle of the pond.&nbsp; At =
about =0A=
the same time the Least Bittern appeared a little to the right of the =
moorhens =0A=
sitting right out in plain sight.&nbsp; The moorhens disappeared again =
almost as =0A=
soon as they appeared so you must be patient.&nbsp; While I was waiting =
I saw =0A=
and/or heard the following:</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sandhill Cranes calling in the distance =
over my =0A=
left shoulder</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Henslow's Sparrow(s) calling from =
across the =0A=
pond</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Virginia Rail with 3 little =
chicks</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Soras feeding out in the =
open</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Black-crowned Night Heron out in the =0A=
open</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Great Egrets, Green Herons and Great =
Blue Herons - =0A=
many</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Purple Martins - at least 3</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Lesser Yellowlegs</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Pectoral Sandpiper</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Solitary Sandpipers</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What a great way to start the =
day!</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I offer the following directions.&nbsp; =0A=
Park&nbsp;at the&nbsp;corner of 175th and Natchez.&nbsp; There is no =
official =0A=
place to pull over and the shoulder is a little steep but it can be =
done.&nbsp; =0A=
There is a trail that runs along the woods that you can pick up =
there.&nbsp; =0A=
This takes you right to #35 on the trail map.&nbsp; The pond is visible =
from =0A=
there.&nbsp; The best angle for where I saw the moorhens was from the =
middle =0A=
before you get to the large tree that blocks your view of the =
pond.&nbsp; They =0A=
were in a fairly small opening in the cattails.&nbsp; The bittern was on =
the =0A=
left side of the much larger opening that is to the right of the smaller =0A=
opening.&nbsp; This second opening has some mudflats and should have =
Green =0A=
Herons, shorebirds and/or a Sora.&nbsp; I hope that helps.</FONT></DIV>=0A=
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bob Williams, Bloomington</FONT></DIV>=0A=
------_=_NextPart_001_01C6B7D0.F78E16DF--