[mou] 2 Common Moorhens at Murphy-Hanrehan

SCOTT MEYER scottandjudy3@msn.com
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 16:01:40 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C6B7DF.45C7F480

To follow up on Bob's post, the Common Moorhens were still around at =
Noon.  You can also park (also steep but can get get fully off the road) =
further west on 175th by the "No Motor Vehicles" sign and walk up to the =
main trail and walk East past the little woodlot to get where Bob =
described. From the high bank look North into the small bays within the =
cattails.  The Moorhens were in the largest bay to the back but moved =
behind another clump of cattails in short order.  By the time I went =
back for my scope they had disappeared, but I agree with patience they =
would move out  again eventually.  The main bay was the only place I saw =
some shorebirds: Solitary Sandpipers and Lesser Yellowlegs. =20

It is also worth going towards #34 and walk around the west and north =
side of the other ponds.  It was quite a reach with binoculars also back =
lit,  but there might be another couple of Common Moorhens on the North =
East corner of the ponds or it could have been a pair of Coots,   =
although  I didn't see any other Coots in either ponds.  In the heat I =
didn't have the fortitude to go back with my scope. =20

Also 185th Street has construction and is down to one lane, so lots of =
tar and asphalt, so heads up. =20

Scott Meyer
  ----- Original Message -----=20