[mou] Big Stone birds

chetmeyers@visi.com chetmeyers@visi.com
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 10:57:29 -0500

Chet Meyers writes:
Miriam and I just returned from a 2-day trip to the Ortonville area. As reported
by others, the snowy plovers were not found near the dam site where they
fledged, but we did find some buff-breasted sandpipers there.  I did not
realize what a walk it was out to the snowy plover spot.  It is great for
shorebirds, but I'd say at least a 3/4 mile hike, sometimes through dense
grass.   Clark's grebe still at Thielke Lake.  Miriam found a western kingbird
near the intersection of CR62 and highway 75 just as you turn into the Thielke
Lake area. Also, interesting, we found a FLOCK of orchard orioles on the Big
Stone auto tour road... at least eight birds. Too big, I think, for one family
group.  Not much else to report.  Vast majority of shroebirds-- pecs, least
sandpipers, and lesser yellowlegs.
Chet Meyers