[mou] Carver Park migrants and delayed Chaska Lake

John Cyrus cyrus150@hotmail.com
Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:43:19 +0000

I birded several hours this morning(8-11) at Carver Park with some success
with migrants.

Tennessee Warbler(several)
Nashville Warbler(2)
Black and White Warbler(2)
Canada Warbler(1)
Northern Waterthrush(1)

There were three other probable warblers that may have also been migrants.
These I could not get an Id, one(only made out a bright yellow belly and
darker feathers above) was flitting around to quickly and flew off was
smaller than a nearby Yellow Warbler  The second was in mixed shade. I could
only notice bright yellow below and darker above.  I thought the head had a
different tone to it than the back, but it flew off before I got a better
look.     The third initially I thought  was another pair of Yellow-throated
vireos.  On closer inspection though,  I am not sure. In terms of size, it
seemed slightly smaller than a nearby Black and White Warbler.  It had white
wing bars, some other markings above the wing bars, yellowish head with no
distinct markings, yellow throat, white rump/lower belly, and narrow yellow
bellow its wings.  Their behavior was also that of a warbler, flitting
around catching bugs.  It also reacted to my spishes by coming closer to
catch food, but stayed at medium tree height.  I would consider the habitat
as mixed forest with quite a bit of undergrowth. Any help in identifying
would be appreciated.

Also seen in an unusually high numbers(for me) were Yellow-throated vireos.
I saw 4(or 6 if that pair were indeed  vireos)   and heard a 5th/7th.  I
don't know if that is normal for the area or not.

Other birds

Common Yellowthroat, American Redstart, Yellow Warbler(I assume this was
migrating, since I have not seen one in several weeks), Red-eyed Vireo,
Warbling Vireo, Eastern Kingbird, Eastern Bluebird, Eastern Wood-pewee,
Great Crested Flycatcher,  Song Sparrow, Great Egret, Great Blue Heron,
Green Heron,  Double-Crested Cormorant.

A fellow birder let me know that there were several Wilson's Warblers there
as well.

I also birded Chaska Lake earlier this week.  Birds of note

Nashville Warbler(1)
Canada Warbler(1)
Wilson's Warbler(1)
Lincoln's Sparrow(3)