[mou] Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties over last week

Pastor Al Schirmacher PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:44:06 -0500

106 birds sighted/heard in Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties over the last
week.  Highlights included:

* Probable Wilson's Plover (reported earlier), Mille Lacs Lake.  Further
comparisons with Internet photos have only served to strengthen our personal
opinions of the ID.  Unfortunately not refound the day after.

* 21 warbler species.  This might be a bit deceiving, since 20 were on
Saturday - have only averaged 6-7 per day this week while walking once or
twice a day.  Missed Blue-winged (which nest in Sherburne), Orange-crowned,
Northern Parula, Black-throated Green and Blackpoll.

* Flock of 15+ Wild Turkeys in Mille Lacs County (where they're considered
unusual).  When I do see turkeys in Mille Lacs, they're invariably along the
Rum River.

* Only nine shorebirds sighted.

* Common Terns were very active along the ML lakefront.  Purple Martins have
all but vanished (only one for week).  Sparrows and other grassland birds
rather quiet or gone.

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN