[mou] Birds in Mountain Ash

Pat DeWenter hoocooks4you@yahoo.com
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:18:14 -0700 (PDT)

--0-759504838-1156979894=:39870

If you want to plant a tree that birds LOVE, it is a Mountain Ash.  We planted one many years ago and last year was the first year we got berries.  This morning we had 3 Swainson's Thrushes, a female Scarlet Tanager, 2 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, a Red-eyed Vireo and a Goldfinch, all eating berries.

  Last week we had a Pileated Woodpecker hanging on to the end of a small branch and trying to eat berries as he swayed to and fro.  It was really a comical sight!

  Our waterfall and pond also have been attracting a lot of migrants.  Today we had a Black and White and Nashville Warbler bathing, as well as our resident Red-breasted Nuthatches.  With the dry year we have had the birds really enjoy the water!  Birds that normally don't come to our suet feeders have been using them.  I guess there must be a real shortage of insects and worms.

  I think the Robins must have moved to St. Cloud and south where there has been rain, because I haven't seen them in our yard for over a month.

  We have had migrant birds coming through in small numbers for 2 weeks.  We also had an Ovenbird kill last week, as well as a hummingbird.  All the hummingbirds for the past week are females.  The males have already left our area.  They are always the first to come and the first to go.

  Pat DeWenter
  Bemidji

--0-759504838-1156979894=:39870

		<hr size=1>Get your own <a href=" http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43290/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains"