[mou] Speculation; Cook Co. stragglers

jotcat jotcat" <jotcat@boreal.org
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 12:04:06 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0111_01C716D3.219F5870

You are probably right about the Titmouse and Carolina Wren traveling =
about together.  Chickadees, titmice, downy woodpeckers and other =
resident species, plus any straggling migrants (warblers, finches) often =
form mixed foraging flocks.  Always investigate the whole gang when you =
hear chickadee calls in winter woods. =20

We have had an odd couple at our feeders since Nov. 22, not every day =
but fairly often - a female Cardinal and a young (still has faint =
streaks on breast) White-throated Sparrow.  Other white-throats moved =
south in early Nov.  Cardinals are getting more common north of Duluth, =
but this is the first one that seems to be appearing regularly here.  =
All the others we have seen in past seven years at this location appear =
for a few minutes or maybe a day or two, then move on.  We also have =
seen them most often in early spring.

As we drove to Grand Marais on Friday Dec. 1, a medium size, long-tailed =
gray-backed bird flew across Hwy. 61  ahead of us, thought it was a gray =
jay until I realized it had no white at all on tail or anywhere else, =
and saw its black crown.  Catbird!  This was on a narrow stretch of the =
highway east of Lutsen, so we didn't have a chance to pull off and look =
around for a solitaire or other wanderer.   Briefly checked the gull =
flock in Grand Marais harbor, didn't spot any rarities, but that job =
needed more time.

Carol Tveekrem,
Schroeder, Cook Co.
  ----- Original Message -----=20