[mou] Minnetonka Mergansers

chetmeyers@visi.com chetmeyers@visi.com
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 13:24:41 -0600

Chet Meyers writes:
The common mergansers are back at their usual staging spots in both Brown's and
Smith's Bay on Lake Minnetonka.  They were at quite a distance but numbered in
the thousands. Mixed in were a few common goldeneyes.  This is on the northeast
shore of Minnetonka along Highway 15.   There are few if any safe places to pull
over, but there is one boat storage place (I believe Minnetonka Marine)just
north and east of Tanager Lake where I have pulled in and no one has ever
chased me out.  The other safe observation place is an ice fishing parking bay
on the east side of Highway 15 just north of the Arcola bridge in Smith's Bay.
 Be careful!  Naturally there were a few bald eagles cruising about looking for
injured mergansers.  Not much else.  No scoters I could find.
Chet Meyers, Hennepin Count