[mou] Sharp-tailed grouse in SW MN?

Sara_Vacek@fws.gov Sara_Vacek@fws.gov
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:47:05 -0600

One of our staff saw nine prairie chickens approx. 3 miles west of Canby on
October 30.  We have not released birds this far south, but we believe one
of our relocated prairie chickens was displaying at a sharp-tail dancing
ground near Clear Lake, SD (about 10-15 miles west of this sighting) in
spring 2004.  We will be searching the Canby area thoroughly this spring
for a booming ground!

FYI - 2006 was our last year of prairie chicken relocations; we have
released 570 birds in West-central Minnesota since 1999.  We will continue
to monitor the reintroduced population using radio telemetry and booming
ground censuses.  We would certainly appreciate hearing about any prairie
grouse (chicken or sharp-tail) observations in west-central Minnesota.
Please contact myself or Dave Trauba (dave.trauba@dnr.state.mn.us or
320-734-4451).

Sara Vacek
Wildlife Biologist
USFWS -- Morris Wetland Management District
43875 230th St.
Morris, MN 56267
320-589-4973

__________________

In the past couple months I've heard from three individuals regarding
Sharp-tailed Grouse sightings in Southwest Minnesota. Two reports come
from the Canby area (Yellow Medicine County) and another North of Belview
(Renville County) area near the Minnesota River valley.

All were from hunters, one of whom had a bird in the hand. All were
certain they were not pheasants, and seemed to have the knowledge to know
the difference.

I am aware of the Greater Prairie-Chicken releases in the Lac qui Parle
area, but these individuals I spoke with were not. They also did not seem
to know the differences between Sharp-tailed and Prarire-Chicken.

Just throwing this info out to those who might venture this way.