[mou] Carlos Avery ows & hawks

Rob Daves rob_daves@yahoo.com
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:11:50 -0800 (PST)

--0-2013836485-1166839910=:36817

I met up with Scott Meyer today at Carlos Avery and he helped me see the hawks and owls.

I arrived about 3:30 p.m. under skies spitting rain, snow and sleet pellets.  There was a slight northwest wind.  As I was driving in on Zodiac Road, north of Broadway, I saw one rough-legged hawk off to the east.  At the forestry station, I turned right toward Pool 10.  Not more than 100 yards along, I spied a Northern Shrike at the top of a dead red pine tree, situated in an old tree plantation on the north side of the road.

When I met Scott near Pool 10, we already had seen several rough-legged hawks, some quite close,

After wondering around Pool 10 and Pool 9 chasing the owls, we saw at least four owls kiting, swooping, and perching on swamp flora, generally doing their pre-sundown thing.  That also including mobbing one of the rough-legs.   We were able to approach one of the rough-legs very close -- within 30 yards.  It was stunning, bobbing and balancing on a small branch at the top of a tree, on a trail leading off to the east 0.5 miles north of the Pool 9-Pool 10 gate.  Scott got some video and stills of the rough-legs.

I'm sure that this is "de rigeur" for many birders, but hats off to Scott for tolerating this beginner:  I saw two life birds today, the short-ears and the northern shrike.

Good birding, all.

Rob Daves, Minneapolis