[mou] Birding in Aitkin Co.

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:01:48 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C726E6.53933B80

Was out guiding a party of 4 birders from Georgia. Saw the following =
birds.

-Great Gray Owls:  1) 2.5 miles west of Floodwood Rd and Floodwood Rd =
intersection on the Hedbom Logging Trail Butch Ukura first spotted this =
owl around 9:00am and we later refound the bird in the same spot at =
around 9:15am.  We later saw the owl again in the same spot at 4:00pm.  =
2) at 11:30pm we saw a Great Gray Owl perched at the intersection of Co. =
Rd 18 and Pietz's Road.

-Black-backed Woodpeckers: 1) female on the Hedbom Logging Road. 2. two =
females along Co. Rd 3 fives miles west of Co. Rd 1 north of Aitkin 3. A =
male Black-backed Woodpecker 11.6 miles north of the Miss. River =
crossing (just north of Aitkin) on the west side of Co. Rd 1

-Am. three-toed Woodpecker: Same spot as the male Black backed =
Woodpecker. =20

-White-winged Crossbills (fly overs) the same spot where we saw the male =
Black-backed and Am. Three-toed Woodpeckers.

Other:
-Gray Jays
-Redpolls
-Rough-legged Hawks (best spot is the intersection of Co. Rd 5 and Co. =
Rd 18 in Aitkin Co. or north of the town of Palisade)
-lots of Ruffed Grouse
-very few Pine Grosbeaks
-Northern Shrike=20

Hedbom Logging Trail:

For myself living in Duluth the best route to get to this logging trail =
is drive to Floodwood and take a left on 9th Ave. W which is also called =
CR 832. Follow CR 832 (going west) and then take a left (south) on CR =
186 (Savannah Rd) and then take a right (west) on CR 837 ( Laurie Rd. )  =
till you reach a intersection of CR 832 (Floodwood Rd) on your immediate =
right heading north ( DO NOT TAKE) and CR 832 heading west (Floodwood =
Rd) .  It's a weird intersection but there is a small white sign post =
that has numerous listing of residents with arrows pointing the =
direction you need to take to visit them and one of the listings is the =
Hedbom Logging Trail, take the second right (CR 832/ Floodwood Rd) that =
is heading west at this intersection.  By the way its pronounced Hed =
BOOM Logging Trail.  While heading west of the intersection on CR =
832/Floodwood Rd you'll drive by on your right Johnson Bennet Rd and =
then a road on your left called the Robinson Rd. At the intersection of =
Robinson Rd and CR 832 is the east side start of the Hedbom Logging =
Trail. There is also a yellow gate which can be used to closed down the =
Hedbom Logging Trail and about 7 or so miles directly west of this gate =
is another yellow gate.  Also there are brown signs that says "Hedbom =
Logging Trail" on the east and west side gates announcing to travelers =
that there are entering the Hedbom logging trail. =20

A caution to birders traveling to this logging trail to view the owls =
and the woodpeckers that IF we get any measurable amount of snow I doubt =
St. Louis Co or Aitkin Co. workers are going to plow this road since =
there is not one resident between the two yellow gates and I wonder if =
county workers will lock these gates if we receive any large amounts of =
snow?  So be aware of that.

Also most of the Hedbom logging trail is mostly upland mix hardwoods =
coniferous and the bog area is located on far east side of the logging =
trail so coming from Floodwood gets you into the bog habitat quicker vs. =
coming from the far west side entrance.  From the Robinson Rd (east =
entrance) the bog is about 4.5 to 5.0 miles long.  From the Robinson Rd =
intersection heading west for 2 miles is St. Louis County and the rest =
of the 2.5 miles or 3 miles of the bog is all in Aitkin County.  I do =
not know the mile distances from the east side yellow gates to the west =
side yellow gates.  My party thinks its about 7-8 miles long between the =
two gates that make up the Hedbom Logging Trail.

It's a great bog and hopefully this bog can evade being logged out!  I =
am curious if Conn. Warblers nest here or other bog specialties.

I thank the Risen's for sharing this road to all of us and also to Butch =
Ukura for calling me about the Great Gray Owl.

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C726E6.53933B80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Was out guiding a party of 4 =
birders from=20
Georgia. Saw the following birds.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Great Gray Owls:&nbsp; 1) =
2.5 miles west=20
of Floodwood Rd and Floodwood Rd intersection on the Hedbom Logging =
Trail Butch=20
Ukura first spotted this owl around 9:00am and we later refound the bird =
in the=20
same spot at around 9:15am.&nbsp; We later saw the owl again in the same =
spot at=20
4:00pm.&nbsp; 2) at 11:30pm we saw a Great Gray Owl perched at the =
intersection=20
of Co. Rd 18 and Pietz's Road.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Black-backed Woodpeckers: 1) =
female on=20
the Hedbom Logging Road. 2. two females along Co. Rd 3 fives miles west =
of Co.=20
Rd 1 north of Aitkin 3. A male Black-backed Woodpecker 11.6 miles north =
of the=20
Miss. River crossing (just north of Aitkin)&nbsp;on the west side of Co. =
Rd=20
1</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Am. three-toed Woodpecker: =
Same spot=20
as&nbsp;the male Black backed Woodpecker.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-White-winged Crossbills (fly =

overs)&nbsp;the same spot&nbsp;where we saw&nbsp;the male Black-backed =
and Am.=20
Three-toed Woodpeckers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Other:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Gray Jays</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Redpolls</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Rough-legged Hawks (best =
spot is the=20
intersection of Co. Rd 5 and Co. Rd 18 in Aitkin Co. or north of the =
town of=20
Palisade)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-lots of Ruffed =
Grouse</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-very few Pine =
Grosbeaks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Northern Shrike =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Hedbom Logging =
Trail:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>For myself living in Duluth =
the best=20
route to&nbsp;get to this logging trail is drive to Floodwood and take a =
left on=20
9th Ave. W which is also called CR 832. Follow CR 832 (going west) and =
then take=20
a left (south) on CR 186 (Savannah Rd) and&nbsp;then take a right (west) =
on CR=20
837&nbsp;( Laurie Rd. )&nbsp; till you reach a intersection of CR=20
832&nbsp;(Floodwood Rd) on your immediate right heading north ( DO NOT =
TAKE) and=20
CR 832 heading west (Floodwood Rd) .&nbsp; It's a weird intersection but =
there=20
is a small white sign post&nbsp;that has numerous listing&nbsp;of =
residents with=20
arrows pointing the direction you need to take to visit them and one of =
the=20
listings is the Hedbom Logging Trail, take the second right (CR 832/ =
Floodwood=20
Rd) that is heading west at this intersection.&nbsp; By the way its =
pronounced=20
Hed BOOM Logging Trail.&nbsp; While heading west of the intersection =
on&nbsp;CR=20
832/Floodwood Rd you'll drive by on your right Johnson Bennet Rd and =
then a road=20
on your left called the Robinson Rd. At the intersection of Robinson Rd =
and CR=20
832 is the east side start of the Hedbom Logging Trail. There is also a =
yellow=20
gate which can be used to closed down&nbsp;the Hedbom Logging Trail and =
about 7=20
or so miles directly west of this gate is another yellow gate.&nbsp; =
Also there=20
are brown signs that says "Hedbom Logging Trail" on the east and west=20
side&nbsp;gates announcing to travelers that there are entering the =
Hedbom=20
logging trail.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>A&nbsp;caution to birders =
traveling to=20
this logging trail to view the owls and the woodpeckers that IF we get =
any=20
measurable amount of snow&nbsp;I doubt St. Louis Co or&nbsp;Aitkin Co. =
workers=20
are going to plow this road since there is not one resident&nbsp;between =
the two=20
yellow gates and I wonder if&nbsp;county&nbsp;workers will lock these =
gates if=20
we receive any large amounts of snow? &nbsp;So be aware of =
that.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Also most of the =
Hedbom&nbsp;logging=20
trail is mostly upland mix hardwoods coniferous and the&nbsp;bog area is =
located=20
on far east&nbsp;side of the logging trail so coming from =
Floodwood&nbsp;gets=20
you into the bog habitat quicker&nbsp;vs. coming from the far west side=20
entrance.&nbsp; From&nbsp;the Robinson Rd (east&nbsp;entrance) the bog =
is about=20
4.5 to 5.0 miles long.&nbsp; From the Robinson Rd intersection heading =
west for=20
2 miles is St. Louis County and the rest of the 2.5 miles or 3 miles of =
the bog=20
is all in Aitkin County.&nbsp; I do not know the mile distances from the =
east=20
side yellow gates to the west side yellow gates.&nbsp; My party thinks =
its about=20
7-8 miles long between the two gates that make up the Hedbom Logging=20
Trail.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>It's a great bog and =
hopefully this bog=20
can evade being logged out!&nbsp; I am curious if Conn. Warblers nest =
here or=20
other bog specialties.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I thank the Risen's for =
sharing this road=20
to all of us and also to Butch Ukura for calling me about the Great Gray =

Owl.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C726E6.53933B80--