[mou] Around the metro

Steve Weston sweston2@comcast.net
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 00:12:41 -0600

Friday 12/28

This morning we had a Northern Flicker on the feeder.  While it was
yellow-shafted (yellow wing lining and under-tail), the red crescent on the
nape was quite small, evidence that there was  probably some red-shafted
ancestry.

Observed two Red-tailed Hawks on the communication tower on the north side
of I-494 just west of the H-55 bridge and the I-35e junction in Mendota
Heights.  I would not have given these birds a second look, except the size
difference between the pair was quite noticible.

A Peregrine Falcon was watching pigeons from atop the northern most grain
elevator along Hiawatha (about 33rd Street) in Minneapolis.

sweston2@comcast.net