[mou] Sax-Zim Highlights

sparky stensaas sparkystensaas@hotmail.com
Sun, 31 Dec 2006 05:23:54 +0000

<P>Hi All,<BR>Guided some nice folks from Pittsburgh the last few days and here are our highlights:<BR><BR>AM THREE-TOED WOODPECKER-The irruption continues...Male along Nichols Lake Road between Hwy 53 and Nichols Lake.&nbsp;(Look for the heavily worked Tamaracks).<BR><BR>BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER-2.6 miles North of Cranberry/Kolu Road on Admiral. Female. West side.<BR><BR>BOREAL CHICKADEES-Five responded to a tape along CR52 (Arkola Road) 0.4mi East of Owl Avenue. In typical Boreal fashion, they came in for a minute and then melted back into the deep dark spruce bog.</P>
<P>WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS-Pishing is the only way to go to attract these birds. Stop frequently in dense spruce forest and PISH LOUD. We found several along Owl Avenue and CR52 Arkola Road.</P>
<P>PINE GROSBEAKS-Several locations but very scattered. I almost jinxed us by saying&nbsp;they were a "sure thing."</P>
<P>GRAY-CROWNED ROSY-FINCHES-Still at Fond du Lac/Cloquet site. Appeared about 7:40am and flew by 7:47am.</P>
<P>TOWNSENDS SOLITAIRE-Same bird on Park Point. I've seen it several times this week...always about 100 yards beyond bus turnaround in crabapples on bay side.</P>
<P>GRAY JAYS-many<BR>NORTHERN SHRIKES-At least 4<BR>BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE-Several birds along CR29 North of CR133.<BR>BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS-Small flock south of Cloquet Forestry Station along CR5<BR>RED-TAILED HAWK-Jay Cooke State Park<BR>RUFFED GROUSE-A tip for out-of-state birders: Look in the upper branches of aspens at dawn and dusk.<BR><BR></P></DIV>Happy New Year!<BR><BR><BR>Sparky Stensaas
<DIV></DIV>2515 Garthus Road
<DIV></DIV>Wrenshall, MN 55797
<DIV></DIV>218.384.9856
<DIV></DIV>218.341.3350 cell