[mou] Black-billed Magpie - Caste Danger, Lake Co.

Jim Lind jslind@frontiernet.net
Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:06:37 -0600

This morning I got a report of a big black bird with white wings and
a long tail seen yesterday at the Castle Danger landfill.  Sharon and
I just got back from checking it out, and sure enough there was a
Black-billed Magpie feeding on deer carcasses with a bunch of Common
Ravens and Bald Eagles.

To reach the landfill, go northeast from the Two Harbors on Highway
61 until you reach County Road 106, just west of the Rustic Inn.  Go
about 0.75 miles west on CR 106 until you reach the road to the
landfill on your right.  Continue up this road for about a mile until
you reach the large landfill.  A road curves to the east and dead
ends at the sewage ponds.  Right before the ponds is a small flat
spot in the piles of rocks where the highway department disposes of
roadkilled deer.  This is where the birds were.  The dump is no
longer active except for a composting area and appliance disposal
(i.e. no gulls), but it's a good place for open county birds and
scavengers.

Jim Lind
Two Harbors