[mou] Nests for Great Horned Owls

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:02:14 -0600

This time every year I go round to check the 12 nest locations I have
marked in Brooklyn Center to find where my neighborhood GHO will set up
its nest. The blow downs from last year have wreaked havoc with these
locations. Of the 12 possibles I captured last spring, only 1 still is
in place, the Bald Eagle nest on Twin Lakes, its pair of Balds remain in
the area constantly. I will begin to look for large squirrel nests and
busted off snags for GHO activity. I am not hearing the birds at night
at all, so I do not have anything to go on. If you see a crow or hawk
nest of sticks, look for the "batman" ears sticking up above the rim and
you will have found a Great Horned Owl. They nest early so their young
are fledging about the time the baby rabbits are all over the place.
Good Birding.