[mou] I agree

Steve Foss stfcatfish@yahoo.com
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:02:50 -0800 (PST)

Nicely expressed, Beau.

--- Beau Shroyer <beaunshroyerduckbuster@hotmail.com>
wrote:

---------------------------------

I agree with some of you.  I reported a few birds last year
for two reasons.  One was to document rare or unusual
sightings, and the other was because I hope that my good
fortune may lead to others seeing some good MN birds.
Every time I submitted a sighting I received at least one
e-mail from the "big guys" stating that my observation
would be pretty unlikely based time and location of
sighting.  That is why it is called a rare bird alert isn't
it?  I feel that my knowledge as a birder was discredited
due to the lack of name recognition.  So, I continue to
read the posts daily, but DO NOT post my sightings.  I am
sure there are others like myself who do not report and it
hurts our understanding of the patterns of birds in MN as
well as other birders.  In essence, I feel that the "big
guys" of the MOU in trying to expand the knowledge of the
scientific community are discouraging amateur birders from
inputting valuable data.  We are a small group and should
be a united front, not a series of "clicks" with a ranked
hierarchy.  Do it for the birds, right?  This is my one and
only complaint with the MOU listserve.