[mou] Harlequin Ducks/Otter Tail Co

Dan & Sandy Thimgan thimgan@digitaljam.com
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:41:57 -0600

A pair of Harlequin Ducks (male and female) are being seen along the Otter
Tail River in the town of Fergus Falls, Otter Tail County.

We (Steve Millard, Eddy and Judy Edwards, Dan Thimgan) saw the birds this
evening (1/11) at 5:15 p.m.  We observed them for only about five minutes
before they flew off very low heading east along the river. The birds were
first spotted and identified by Steve Millard on 1/08 at 5:00 p.m.  Steve
also saw them this morning at 8:00 a.m. All sightings have been brief and
seen from the one of the two locations below.

The two best sites for viewing:
1. On the south side of the river at Hannah Park.  The park's entry road is
found three blocks west of the intersection of Union and Vernon Ave).  Be
aware that the road into the park is minimally maintained and the hill is a
bit slippery and steepish.

2. On the north side of the river--  directly across from Hannah Park --
where Broadway dead-ends, a block and half south of Lincoln Ave.
=20
The birds may well overnight with the many Common Golden-eyes at the
so-called =B3levee=B2 which is located downtown near the high school, but the
Harlequins have not as yet been sighted there.

Also seen the last couple of days at this site:  Trumpeter Swan, Redhead,
Lesser Scaup, Wood Duck, Common Merganser, American Coot, Bald Eagle,
Sharp-shinned Hawk, Belted Kingfisher, etc.

Dan & Sandy Thimgan
Battle Lake, MN
Otter Tail Co.