[mou] Summer Tanager, Sherburne +

Pastor Al Schirmacher PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:54:19 -0500

Spent an hour on Blue Hill Trail this evening, may have heard the Summer
Tanager back beyond the bench on the right hand side.  Sang twice (like a
clear Scarlet without the burriness), but I'm no expert on Summer
vocalizations - and my audio memory degrades quickly as time passes.

The Dingmanns were chasing it as I left, hopefully they will be more
successful.

Also stopped at Sherburne CR2 sewage ponds this evening - still only  6-7
shorebird species, although the Greaters & a second Wilson's Phalarope were
new.  First Wilson's has been there a week (or its lookalike).

Had a Yellow-billed Cuckoo on Mahnomen Trail, Sherburne Refuge this
morning - otherwise "summer" quiet.

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties

PS Yes, did get to Big Stone & Lac Qui Parle over the weekend - while I had
a good trip learning the area & picked up five year birds, did miss a number
of goodies including the Snowies - would have helped if I had checked the 75
Dike area rather than 21!  Tempted to return this Saturday.

Thanks to Phil Chu for the ideal route - 4.5 hours on Yahoo/Google became 3.