[mou] Bloopers

Adele Binning abinning@smm.org
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 11:20:18 -0500

My favorite story of that sort is this: Once on a canoe trip with a
bunch of botanists we were slowly paddling up the Wawiag River in the
Quetico Provincial Park. This river feels like the one in African
Queen....natural levees on each side with brush that obscures your
sightline to what's behind the levees. Anyway, our three canoes were
slowly, quietly padding on a still, hot day when the first canoe
spotted a large, motionless figure among the alder on the levee. We
were all alerted to it. 9 sets of eyes slowly drifted stealthily
closer, whispering things like, "What is it?"  "A moose?" "I can't
tell....but its looking at us, I think." When we got about 15 feet
away, we suddenly and simultaneously realized it was Shan Walshe, the
legendary Canadian botanist, dressed in a mosquito net hat and other
protective clothing. It was very weird to realize that we had been
stalking a wild animal that turned out to be a human.

Anyway, that's my story.
Adele Binning
St. Paul