[mou] Slaty-backed Gull

audrey lynn alynneretired@yahoo.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 06:34:59 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1227858170-1153834499=:65750

The Slaty-backed Gull was still present on the N. side of the Breakwater behind the North House Folk School and Dockside Fish Market at 7:30 p.m. on Monday evening, July 24. The sun was just right and with the scope from the dock the red/pink orbital ring around the eye was visible and as he/she lifted up to drop behind the breakwall we were also able to see the white "Pearl" markings on the under side of the outer wing tips as are described in Sibley and by Kim E in his email. We had talked to Molly and Ken Hoffman earlier in the evening and Molly told us that  the Slaty -backed had an eye injury from a fight with the herring Gulls. We could see that it was the left eye that was injured but it may be recovering. He didn't open it all the way but the eyeball looked OK.
  Audrey and Joel Evers

--0-1227858170-1153834499=:65750