[mou] Blooper Stories

shawn conrad dingermcduff@hotmail.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:58:10 -0500

Usually stumps for grouse and clods of dirt in gravel roads for
sparrows....and during the great gray irruption a couple winters back, I
pulled over a couple of times on 61 near Lutsen to check out those &@#$%
plastic owls on the telephone poles.

A few years back I worked on a raptor nest survey and reported hearing a
goshawk calling several times but it ceased before we could determine its
location.  A couple of weeks later I bumped into a contracted researcher who
told me he had been calling off the same forest road that very day.

A couple of years ago I led a short bird walk for some coworkers and on a
couple of occasions we heard red squirrels.  I stopped the group in our
tracks and asked if anyone knew what kind of bird was calling.  After a
pause, I got several responses, none of which included any kind of mammal.
It worked twice, but elicited groans after that.  Unfortunately the
squirrels outnumbered the birds that day, so bad gags were all I had.

Shawn Conrad
Bovey