[mou] Gull still in Grand Marais

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:26:14 -0500 (CDT)

The gull believed to be a Slaty-backed is still in Grand Marais.  Sharon
Stiteler and I found it simultaneously at the rocky breakwater near the
Angry Trout restaurant at about noon today, hunkered down on a rock--at
first it was next to a Herring Gull.  Molly Hoffman said that it's been
hanging out more and more with Herring Gulls, without any of the fighting
people witnessed last weekend, so is finally able to eat proper natural
food.

It started raining soon after Sharon and I arrived, and with the first
peal of thunder the bird stood up and we got better views, but none of the
photos we took today were diagnostic--they were worse than the ones that I
took last week for limited angles and no open wings.  But as always I'll
post all my photos on my blog later today.  I doubt if they're as good as
the ones taken by real photographers, but sure hope they're of use.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Staff Ornithologist
Binoculars.com
www.birderblog.com

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the
winter.

			--Rachel Carson