[mou] Swan in cloverleaf pond

Donnelle Burlingame donnelleburlingame@hotmail.com
Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:52:30 -0500

I drive by there to and from work everyday.  I reported that bird to The
Raptor Center, Non-game DNR and  Madaline Link. Apparently its been there
for about a month now?I had great discussions with all it was agreed upon at
this point nothing should be done due to safety issues and lack of evidence
of injury. It does come and go I now realize. I do not see it consistently.
I am not convinced she  is incubating eggs. I hope not.  I have not seen a
second swan anywhere in the area. I live in North Mpls so Im close by.
I look for it everyday when I come and go from work. I am familiar with
physical and behavioral symptoms of injury and or illness ( lead poisoning?)
and so far nothing has flagged any concern with me.  But If things should
change I would like to have further conversations to the possibility of
rescue. Very dangerous for all in that area. The bird would have to be
totally down and out, unable to move fast at all otherwise into traffic it
goes even under the cover of night. The state patrol would defiantly need to
be present. Im willing if there able
Timothy please contact me directly, I would like to chat with you about this
bird. Kinda blew your mind a little I bet! I could not believe what I was
seeing?  I thought I need more sleep or more coffee!
Thanks for the shared concern.
Donnelle Burlingame

From: Timothy Johnson <johns860@mac.com>
To: mou-net@cbs.umn.edu
Subject: [mou] Swan in cloverleaf pond
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:05:10 -0500

There's been a lone swan (trumpeter) hanging out for at least 2 weeks  in
the SE cloverleaf pond at the intersection of I-94 and I-694. It  seems
healthy, feeding often as I drive by. There is no place to stop  to view the
bird, just slowing down a bit is the best you can do.  Since the pond is no
more than 50 meters from the Mississippi I worry  that it is a she with
intentions of nesting there. I worry because I  fear she will lose her brood
when she tries to walk them across the  freeway ramp someday.

Would there necessarily be a pair in the pond if there is a nest  there, or
does the female try to keep her nest secret from even her  mate (who could
be on the river for all I know?

Tim (new today to MOU listserv)