[mou] Douglas Osprey/ Felton birds/ Grey Cloud Carolina Wren (correction)

JELLISBIRD@aol.com JELLISBIRD@aol.com
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 21:05:20 EDT

    Went birding with my two sons Alex and Jesse Sunday and Monday (6/4 &6/5).
Saw a pair of OSPREY near the farmstead grove on the East side of Lake Irene
North of Miltona, MN on Sunday. Monday started with a LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE on the
wire along Clay 26 between MN 9 and the longspur road. We saw a pair of
ORCHARD ORIOLES copulate in the cottonwoods along the south end of the longspur
road. We had fantastic looks at a CHESNUT-COLLARED LONGSPUR on the fence and
another larking further off. We saw many MARBLED GODWITS buzzing the car and one
with two young crossing the longspur road. THREE other male ORCHARD ORIOLES
were in the environs of the farm house and N of there. LARK SPARROWS were across
the road from the gravel pit lake north of Clay 108 on the way to CLAY 34.
Heard and saw many CLAY-COLORED and GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS, heard only one LECONTES
SPARROW. We failed to find the Snowy Owl, Henslows or Bairds Sparrows. We
also heard and saw several UPLAND SANDPIPERS, including some new calls (to us.)
    Grant County had two pairs of COMMON LOONS with young but we couldn't
scare up any interesting herons in the early afternoon on Monday.

    The CAROLINA WREN reported earlier by my son Jesse was at 10300 Grey
Cloud Island Trail NOT at 1300 Grey Cloud Island Trail.

    John Ellis- St. Paul 5/7/06