[mou] Miesville bust

Larry Sirvio lmsirvio@comcast.net
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:11:05 -0500

Went back to Miesville Ravine - this time with camcorder to hopefully get
some better audio of the birds I had been hearing - and trying to record
with a digital voice recorder (poor quality sound at high frequencies).

I couldn't believe the difference from Mon & Tues. Where there had been lots
of redstarts and towhees - today it took about 2 hours to find one of each.
All of the other birds I had been seeing were missing (exception - red eyed
vireo)

The only other active birds were the yellow warblers and wrens.

I finally heard a wood thrush - east side of the brook-  far away in the
woods.

I also figured out that using an IPOD to record birds is not going to work.
Volume was too low and it has the same problem with frequency response (does
not go higher than 4000 Hz) as the voice recorder.

I had done some testing with a signal generator on the computer to figure
that out but needed to confirm it in the field.

Sharon Stitler (Birdchick blogger) has used an IPOD with an expensive mic -
I'll have to ask her more details. She has had some luck using the "good"
mic.