[mou] FW: [PABIRDS] gypsy moths and birds.

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:40:21 -0500

I have heard people ask about Gypsy moths in the past, I felt this was
interesting.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bird discussion list for Pennsylvania
[mailto:PABIRDS@LIST.AUDUBON.ORG] On Behalf Of Scott Weidensaul
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 7:06 PM
To: PABIRDS@LIST.AUDUBON.ORG
Subject: Re: [PABIRDS] gypsy moths and birds.

   Some history here...gypsy moths are Eurasian natives, and were=20
brought to this country in the mid-19th century in a misguided=20
attempt to create a domestic silk industry. They escaped into the=20
wild in New England, and began moving out from that epicenter.

   The moths hit northeastern Pennsylvania in the 1930s, and the first=20
major infestations reached southeastern Pennsylvania, where I live,=20
in the late 1960s and early 1970s. As Deb said, the gypsy moths would=20
go through boom-and-bust cycles, their populations eventually=20
reaching plague proportions in which the entire forest would be=20
defoliated in mid-June. Then disease would sweep through, the=20
population would crash, and it would be a number of years before it=20
built up again.

   Although they'll eat many species of trees, especially when=20
stressed by hunger, their primary food are oaks. Hardwoods usually=20
recover from defoliation, leafing out again later in the summer,=20
although two or more years in a row will kill a tree, and defoliation=20
in a time of drought can cause massive mortality.

   The last regionwide defoliation in this part of the state was, I=20
believe, in 1991; I was section-hiking part of the Appalachian Trail=20
that summer, and hiked for days through hot, shadeless forests that=20
reeked of ammonia from the rotting frass (caterpillar droppings) and=20
dying caterpillars. About that time, a virus introduced in the early=20
1900s as a potential biological control finally kicked in (why it=20
took so long, no one knows) and has generally kept the gypsy moths=20
below the plague threshold, except for periodic, fairly localized=20
outbreaks.

   Interestingly, one of the other attempted biological controls was a=20
parasitic fly, the tachnid, which made little progress against gypsy=20
moths but has decimated our native silkworm moths like lunas,=20
cecropias and prometheas. Likewise, the bacterial BT spray the state=20
uses is caterpillar-specific, but not gypsy moth specific, and kills=20
the larvae of such forest butterflies and moths as red-spotted=20
purples, various swallowtails and underwings -- basically, any=20
lepidoptera.

   Scott Weidensaul
   Schuylkill Haven, PA